The SMBLA Trail Cycle Leader (TCL) Award is a Level Two Award (Level Two is the entry level) aimed at all people who want to become leaders for mountain biking. The TCL Award consists of a two day training course followed by a one day assessment.
Over the two days of training all aspects of leading by mountain bike are covered including:
- How to carry out pre-ride bike checks
- Trailside repairs
- Riding skills and how to teach them
- Group management
- Dealing with emergencies and much more.
At the end of the training your Tutor will give you an Action Plan for assessment.
After consolidating for a minimum of 30 days and working on areas highlighted in your Action Plan you must then attend a one day assessment. If you have experience and meet certain criteria you can get exemption from this consolidation period. (see below).
Following a successful assessment you will then by able to lead groups on terrain of a low to medium technical difficulty up to 600 metres in altitude and no more than 30 minutes walk from safety.
Before attending a TCL Training Course
- Be over 18 years old
- Have joined the SMBLA at a cost of £48 which gets you:
- the SMBLA Official Training Manual
- course documentation
- Logbook sheets and route cards*
- forms to join British Cycling
- Have logged 20 recent mountain bike rides which must be sent to us at least a week before training
- Have read the SMBLA Training Manual
- Have your own bike which is fitted with a bike computer (in km) for use in the navigation section.
*Logbook sheets and route cards are also available to download from the SMBLA Website.
Before attending a TCL Assessment
- A valid British, Scottish or Welsh Cycling membership. Join online at British Cycling or download 'SC-BC Senior Membership Form' from the SMBLA Website.
- A valid First Aid Certificate. (See our First Aid Training Courses)
- To have logged 10 more rides and worked on your Action Plan during a minimum 30 day consolidation period.
TCL Consolidation Exemption Form
If you wish to apply for exemption from the minimum 30 day consolidation period between Training and Assessment you must complete a TCL Consolidation Exemption Form (available from the SMBLA Website) and send it to your Tutor whose decision on whether you meet the necessary criteria is final.
How do I Book on to a Course?
What do I need to bring with me?
Have a look at the Kit List